Thursday 31 July 2008

Things that are tasty for stir fries and a treat for myself

I am always eating stir fries (as anyone who reads this regularly knows!) but recently I have tried a few new things in them, which I have enjoyed.





First up is a Hot Pepper Creole sauce, which is really scrummy! I have never tried it before. It is quite tangy and gives my stir fry a nice kick! It makes a nice change from the usual sauces I use so I will definitley be buying it again!



Here is a tofu and veggie stir fry using the sauce:




Next up is a Chow Mein mix I bought from a local health food shop. The box contains dried wholewheat noodles with dried veggies (I thought that was weird) and a spice mix. I thought this would be great for when I was feeling especially lazy as the whole thing cooks in about 5 minutes!
The noodles were short and curly and looked really cute. Here is my stir fry with added tofu pieces:

Although the packet was fairly tasty for an instant mix, it didn't have loads of flavour and I think I prefer adding fresh or frozen veggies rather than dehydratying dried ones! However, I think it is good for when I haven't got many veggies to hand and fancy a stir fry.





I also tried using hummous as a stir fry sauce. My mum bought me a few mini tubs of different flavours of hummous. The flavours were lemon and corriander, caramalized onion and roasted red pepper. I don't really eat sandwiches much (just not much of a bread girl) so I fancied using them in my all-time favourite dish- the stir fry!

I thinned out the hummous mixture with a little water and then threw it in with my veggies and tofu. I tried all of the different flavours and I think that lemon and corriander and the red pepper ones worked best. I would definitely use hummous again in a stir fry!





Also I have been on the hunt for new snacks and decided to treat myself to some treats from Veganessentials.com:



I ordered a dozen Clif builder bars! These bars are not available in the UK but I really wanted to try some so decided to go for it! I would have treated myself to some other items (they also sell a white chocolate peanut butter that I have my eye on) but the shipping was really expensive!

I bought 3 different flavours to try: chocolate, cookies and cream and peanut butter. So far I have just tried chocolate and it was really tasty. The bar was like a chewy brownie inside and was covered in chocolate. I couldn't believe it was actually healthy! The nutritional information is seriously impressive: http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_builders/1230

The box isn't going to last me long.... ; )

5 comments:

miho said...

i'm a huge fan of hummus, i must try it in a stir fry sometime! i love noodles :)

peony in a nutshell said...

that mix looks well cool ive never beeen able to buy anything like that before u must have well good shops around your area! i wish i could order things from that site but i alway worry that my money details would get stolen or somthing >.<
was the load you ordered realy expensive? because i love snicker type things and realy miss things like that expesh white chocolate (which is my fave and i think id do anything to try some :( )
omg i knoww! the custard was so yummy i like had the rest of the container in the eavning :D defently buying it again!!

yea im a little nervous about the centre thingy :/ i just dont want to be there too long as im alot better than i was and weigh alot more than i used too its just a shame its not quite enough yet, weird to think its only in a couple hours and i kno im going to get realy bored there and stuff as i havnt told any of my friends im going haha which is abit odd i guess :p
il add you on msn (idk if u actually have it haha)
xxx

Vaala ◪ said...

Yeah hummus in stir fries actually works surprisingly well. I remember trying it once when I had some left over hummus needing using and it was really good. You've reminded me to try it again now!

Those Clif bars sound really delicious. I never really noticed them when I lasted ordered from Vegan Essentials. Hmmm, maybe next time (I think I pretty much order for the white chocolate peanut butter alone but you're right, shipping is very expensive).

Regina said...

The builder bars are awesome!

Vaala ◪ said...

Oh dear, just realised I totally forgot to wish you a happy birthday for last Friday :). Life needs to get a little less crazy!